Saturday, September 25, 2010

HEALTH CARE and COVERAGE

It has been twenty years of working on Health Care Reform and as an advocate for the people on many issues, long term care, medicare, uninsured children, medication, research and more. I have worked with women's issues, families without insurance because of job loss, etc. As a writer, I believe it is the right of the people to speak out.

I have fought for individuals and talked from Boston ...to the White House on Health Care. This all began in the 90's, my fight for individual rights, health to be the care to all children and what good is it if parents are sick, and can't care for their children?

I can tell you so many stories about medication, cost, the sick without help because they can't buy drugs, so I have seen people die because of it. I have seen the increases in health care TODAY with SMALL BUSINESSES up to 30% - Does your income rise this fast? When you go to purchase a drug even with insurance, the prices change from month to month. I have never seen such drastic measures taken by big business against the people.

I have talked for over one and a half hours alone, during the 90's with Presidential Candidate Robert Dole. I have talked alone with Lamar Alexander, Arlen Specter and others on health care.

It certainly shows where the GOP is coming from when they place Lamar as the head of Health Care Reform. Lamar and I had many conversations about health care in the 90's and in my opinion he will never change, nor will he budge from his own belief system. When I interviewed Arlen Specter, he wasn't hit with the disaster in his own life, cancer. I do believe he opened his eyes, and noticed the stuggles out there with individuals. Also, Dole.

I was told I would never get an interview with these Presidential Candidates, because who was I? Well, I was a determined fighter for the people, I was one who never gave up a battle when I thought a battle was to be fought. And so, through all this I learned over the years - the people must talk, they must have a voice - and without a voice we can't expect change. Look what just happened with children and health care. Our President said that he was going to as of Sept. 24th have every child under 18 covered. And coverage for older children would take them through those college years, etc. And what happens, the system finds a loophole and up pops the cure for big business. And there is nothing bigger then the drug companies. They say they will not cover individual children - and on national TV a young girl with long term care needs, isn't going to have coverage. Something is drastically wrong. When the largest carriers will drop children. We need fixing, for sure.

Sincerely, Nancy Duci Denofio

No comments:

Post a Comment